The Simcoe Building
This Two story log cabin was built in 1798. The building was donated to the historic site by the Ministry of Natural Resources.
This log cabin is dedicated to the memory of John Graves Simcoe who was the first Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada. In 1793 the First Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada, passed Canada's first anti-slavery law. This legislation did not outlaw slavery but harnessed it:
it outlawed the buying of new slaves, and immediate freedom was granted to those slaves who outlived their masters.
This eventually led to the abolition of slavery throughout the British Empire by 1834